Thursday 27 September 2012

How to Draw a Rowing Boat

When i first created my blog I wanted it to be all about my four favourite things - Photography, cooking, sewing and art; but all that I've done so far is cooking, (two posts, one on blackberry pies and one about cupcakes) and one on Photography (A day in the life of me.) but I have still been sewing, drawing and taking photos, but  I haven't had a spare hour or so to upload and publish new posts on my other hobbies. (Before I start properly, I don't claim to be amazing at art and I am not telling you this is how it should be done, but this is just how I did it.) But right now, it is 10 past 8 and I have quite a while to sort out my blog, so I will kick off my arty side of my blog with...

How to draw a rowing boat.









Firstly, I started with the construction lines in the shape of a box. As this was the first time that I had drawn this, i thought that I would copy the construction lines exactly, so I traced this first step from the book, just to make sure that i didn't get it wrong from step 1.







I then added in the rough outline of the boat. Although the outline is rough - just a guideline - it is very important to make sure that the lines are quite accurate, as this will affect the proportions and shape of the entire drawing.







Next, add the seats inside. Make sure that the seats are parallel, not at angles to each other. This makes the picture look more realistic. I also went over the lines with pencil again (only the ones that I could see that I would be keeping to the end), this helped me see what my drawing would look like in the end, so that I didn't loose hope and leave my drawing to complete another day. 







This stage is the final stage before the shading. So now is the time to add any left over details, such as the panels on the side of the boat and panels on the inside of the boat.






Finally, add shading to ever corner that the sun wouldn't reach, if you imagine that the sun comes from the top left hand corner of the page. Add the rope on the front of the boat and add a shadow underneath the rope. Don't forget to add shading under the seats and between every panel of wood, both inside and outside. Rub out any construction lines and then you're done!


All of my pictures are taken on my Canon EOS 500d with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens which I would highly recommend.

Thank you For Looking at my Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment